Windsor and the Royal Borough is perfect for a weekend or short break. Discover 1,000 years of history, heritage, arts and culture with a unique royal connection.
Windsor Castle and Legoland are widely regarded as must-see attractions. Combine them with great shopping, a wide range of restaurants and cafes and accommodation to suit all requirements and you have a fantastic year-round break destination.
Use this checklist to help you plan your time and your budget. Look out for those things that don't cost a penny!
- Windsor Castle – allow at least 2 hours.
- River Thames Boat Trips from Windsor or Maidenhead
- Thames Path Walks (FREE!)
- Self Guided Heritage Trail of Windsor & Eton
- City Sightseeing Tour Bus of Windsor & Eton.
- National Trust Gardens at Cliveden - free to National Trust members.
- Windsor & Royal Borough Museum, Windsor Guildhall
- Frogmore House and Gardens. Only open at certain times of the year, check beforehand.
- Windsor Leisure Centre and Maidenhead's Magnet Leisure Centre.
- Guard March (10.50am) - check the schedule and watch the Guards and their marching band en route to the Castle (FREE!).
- Windsor Farm Shop
- Windsor Cycle Hire
- Feed the Swans
- Legoland Windsor Resort
- Maidenhead Heritage Centre
- Blue Badge Guided Tours of Windsor & Eton (27 March to 28 August 2016, Saturdays and Sundays).
- Ray Mill Island and Maidenhead Riversde Gardens (FREE!)
- Explore the town of Eton. Visit to Eton College Natural History Museum.
- Lunch and afternoon at The Savill Garden
- Afternoon at Ascot Races
- Polo at Guard Polo Club, Smith's Lawn, Windsor Great Park - April to September (FREE to those arriving by foot!)
- Blue Badge Guided Tours of Windsor & Eton (27 March to 28 August 2016, Saturdays and Sundays)
- Horse-drawn Carriage Rides
- Stanley Spencer Gallery, Cookham
- Windsor Royal Shopping
- The Long Walk and the Great Park (FREE!)
- Dorney Court - only open on specific dates in the year
- Shopping in Eton
- Hire a rowing or motor boat on the Thames
- St. John's Parish Church, High Street, Windsor, with its magnificent painting of the Last Supper (FREE!)
- A spot of culture at the Theatre or Arts Centre
- Odeon Cinema, Maidenhead
- Evening Races at Windsor Racecourse
- Evensong at St George's Chapel (FREE!)
- Windsor Festival (Autumn) and the Windsor Spring Festival or International String Competition on alternating years
- Dining Out
- Tenpin Bowling, Maidenhead
- Live comedy, music and quiz night at local pub.