Tel: 01628 471885
The Stanley Spencer Gallery is situated in the heart of Cookham, the picturesque ‘village in heaven’ where Spencer was born and painted for most of his life. Established in 1962 the building was transformed ten years ago into a magnificent modern art museum, home to the world’s largest collection of Spencer paintings, drawings, personal letters, photographs, press cuttings and books.
Visitor attractions: film and audio guide; exhibition catalogue; self-guided walk pamphlet; free children’s activity booklet; gift shop.
An Artistic Affair: Stanley Spencer and Daphne Charlton
30 March 2017 – 1 October 2017
This exhibition offers a new perspective on the affair between Stanley Spencer and Daphne Charlton, based on the curator’s recorded conversations with Daphne, who had a pithy turn of phrase. She stated, for instance, that she had ‘no inhibitions at all’.
In 1939, Stanley Spencer began an affair with the artist Daphne Charlton. It was to last until 1941, although they remained in touch for the rest of his life. Daphne’s husband George had been her tutor at the Slade. Daphne was ebullient, vivid and a larger than life character. She features in a remarkable series of drawings and paintings by Spencer, many of which are in the exhibition.
Entry fees: £6, adults. £4, seniors and other concessions. Children accompanied by adults FREE.
Winter November to March: Thurs - Sun Only 11.00am - 4.30pm
Summer From 30 March 2017, Tues - Sun 10.30am - 5.30pm
Normally closed Mondays but open Bank holiday Mondays.
Last entry 30 minutes before closing time.
Group and corporate visits
Group and corporate visits are welcome, with many excellent hostelries nearby. A popular stopping point for coach tours, highly informative and rewarding talks can be arranged and guided walks to the village and countryside where Spencer painted.
Lecture rooms for corporate visits are available by arrangement with the nearby Chartered Institute of Marketing.
|Open New Year|
|open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* WINTER November to March: Thurs - Sun Only 11.00am - 4.30pm. SUMMER From 30 March 2017, Tues - Sun 10.30am - 5.30pm & Bank Holidays
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good33
- DMW201Windsor and Maidenhead, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDo not miss 'The Artistic Affair'Friday, 21st April 2017This exhibition runs until 1st October and is a special one not to be missed. It is dedicated to the memory of Daphne and George Charlton's influence on Stanley Spencer while living in Leonard... Read full review
- g_unitedMaidenhead, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyDelightful museumTuesday, 18th April 2017This is a lovely small museum showcasing the artwork of Stanley Spencer, an artist local to Cookham, Berkshire. The works tell many stories of the local area and convey the personality of the... Read full review
- Richard HTrip Type:CouplesSmall but perfectSaturday, 8th April 2017Though surprised by the small size this is a great art gallery. Audio-visual guide to watch if you wish - get to know the artist. Have wanted to see this for many years - it was lovely. Staff... Read full review