The Bridge joining Windsor and Eton
The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead operates a scheme of commemorative Blue Plaques, which mark where famous people have lived or where some memorable event has taken place. Click on the personalities below to find out why they are remembered and where the plaques are located.
- A.C. Benson
- A Y Nutt
- Brigadier-General Hore-Ruthven
- Charles Knight
- Daniel Gooch
- Edward Elgar
- Charles Hollis
- Frances Burney and Mary Delany
- Fred Fuzzens
- Guglielmo Marconi
- Ivor Novello
- J.D.M. Pearce
- Jack White
- John Milton
- Kenneth Grahame
- Lord Roberts of Kandahar
- Lt. Col. Harry Greenwood
- Margaret Oliphant
- Mariquita Tennant
- Mr Freddie Shenston
- Oliver Brooks
- Ralph Newbery
- Richard Dimbleby
- Sir Edward Richard Henry
- Sir Edwin Lutyens
- Sir Henry Walford Davies
- Sir Sydney Camm
- Chapel Arches Bridge
- King Edward VII Gateway
- Windsor Bridge
- York Road, Maidenhead United Football Club
Arthur Christopher Benson (24 April 1862 – 17 June 1925) is best remembered for his association with Eton College and Magdalene College of Cambridge University. Brother of the novelist E.F. Benson, Arthur himself was a well-published author but he is perhaps best known as the writer of the patriotic song "Land of Hope and Glory"
- The Hill of Trouble and Other Stories (1903)
- The Isles of Sunset (1904)
- The Child of the Dawn (1911)
- Paul the Minstrel and Other Stories (1911)
- Escape and Other Essays (1916)
- Basil Netherby (1926)
The plaque was unveiled 7 November 2006
Alfred Young Nutt (5 May 1847-25 July 1924) was an English Architect and designer who was Surveyor to the Dean and Canons of St George’s Chapel Windsor in the late 19th century. He undertook private commissions for the Royal Family and others. The Windsor and Royal Borough Museum has a collection of his artworks.
The plaque was unveiled 16 April 2005
63 Kings Road
Alexander Gore Arkwright Hore-Ruthven, 1st Earl of Gowrie VC, GCMG, CB, DSO, PC (6 July 1872 – 2 May 1955) was born in Windsor. The Blue Plaque commemorates his heroic actions in warfare for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross.
Hore-Ruthven was educated at Eton College then began his career in the British Army in 1898. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for carrying a wounded Egyptian Officer to safety whilst under fire during the Sudan Campaign.
After his active army career Hore-Ruthven went on to become the longest-serving Governor-General of Australia. On returning to Britain he was appointed Deputy Constable and Lieutenant-Governor of Windsor Castle.
The plaque was unveiled 25 March 1997
Charles Knight (March 15 1791-March 9 1873) was the founder and original editor of The Windsor and Eton Express which is still in published today. The Blue Plaque commemorating his life is located on a wall near his tomb in Bachelors Acre.
The plaque was unveiled 1 May 1996
Sir Daniel Gooch, who lived in Clewer Park, Windsor, was born in 1816 and died in 1889. He was a locomotive engineer who was employed by world famous railway engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
Sir Daniel’s achievements included his instrumental work in laying the first successful transatlantic telegraph cable, using the SS Great Eastern. He was the first superintendent of locomotive engines for Great Western Railway and later its chairman.
He was also a magistrate in Windsor, deputy lieutenant of Berkshire, MP for Cricklade and pro grand master of Berks and Bucks Masons.
Sir Daniel was nominated for the plaque by Malcolm Lock, chairman of the Friends of Windsor & Royal Borough Museum.
Mr Lock said: “As chairman of the Friends of Windsor & Royal Borough Museum and a railway enthusiast, I felt the need for some form of recognition for Daniel Gooch as the bicentenary of his birth approached. Although an eminent engineer of his age, his name does not readily spring to mind.
“A blue plaque seemed appropriate and as his home at Clewer Park has long been demolished, I felt the old GWR station building would make an ideal site.
“My thanks go to all those involved in this project who have ensured its success. Sir Daniel now has a permanent memorial in his adopted town.”
The plaque was unveiled 15 October 2015 situated next to the post box at:
47 Windsor Royal Shopping
Sir Edward William Elgar, 1st Baronet, OM, GCVO (2 June 1857 – 23 February 1934), composer of many major orchestral works including the Enigma Variations and the Pomp and Circumstance Marches lived and composed at Long White Cloud in Bray and a Blue Plaque has been erected here.
The music for "Land of Hope and Glory" was composed by Elgar. The words were written by A C Benson whose life is commemorated with a Blue Plaque at Eton College.
The plaque was unveiled in 1997
Long White Cloud
Monkey Island Lane
The Blue Plaque is located on the wall of Windsor castle, along St Albans Street near the junction with Castle Hill. Castle plans show this as the site of the grace & favour house occupied by Mary Delany
Frances Burney (1752 – 1840), is commemorated as a pioneering novelist, writer of Court Journals & Second Keeper of the Robes to Queen Charlotte (1786-91). A prolific writer, Burney is said to be the forerunner of successive novelists such as Jane Austen and William Makepeace Thackeray. Frances Burney was also offered office in the Royal Court as a result of her friendship with Mary Delany.
- The History of Caroline Evelyn, (ms. destroyed by author, 1767.)
- Evelina: Or The History of A Young Lady's Entrance into the World,
- Cecilia: Or, Memoirs of an Heiress, 1782.
- Camilla: Or, A Picture of Youth, 1796.
- The Wanderer: Or, Female Difficulties
- Brief Reflections Relative to the French Emigrant Clergy, 1793.
- Memoirs of Doctor Burney
Journals and Letters
- The Early Diary of Frances Burney 1768-1778, (2 vols.)
- The Diary and Letters of Madame D'Arblay
- The Diary of Fanny Burney
- Dr. Johnson & Fanny Burney
- The Journal and Letters of Fanny Burney (Madame D'Arblay) 1791-1840, (12 vols.) Vols. I-VI, ed. Joyce Hemlow, with Patricia Boutilier and Althea Douglas; Vol. VII, eds. Edward A. and Lillian D. Bloom; Vol. VIII, ed. Peter Hughes; Vols. IX-X, ed. -Warren Derry; Vols. XI-XII, ed. Joyce Hemlow with Althea Douglas and Patricia Hawkins. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1972-1984.
- The Witlings, 1779
- Edwy and Elgiva, 1790, (Produced at Drury Lane, 21 March 1795)
- Hubert de Vere, 1788-91
- The Siege of Pevensey, 1788-91
- Elberta, (fragment) 1788-91
- Love and Fashion, 1799
- The Woman Hater, 1800-1801
- A Busy Day, 1800-1801
Mary Delany (14 May 1700 – 15 April 1788) is also commemorated on this Plaque. She was an artist, writer, and English Bluestocking. Delany was well liked by King Geroge III and Queen Charlotte, who after the death of Delany's second husband offered her a house and a pension of £300 per year.
The plaque was unveiled 7 November 2006
Windsor Castle Wall
St Albans Street
Fred Fuzzens, 1921-1995, is commemorated as a local historian and lifelong citizen of Windsor. He was a local postman. His father, also Fred Fuzzens, was the first Labour Mayor of Windsor.
The plaque was unveiled in 1997
Guglielmo Marconi 1874-1937 was a pioneer in wireless communication and is known to have lived at this address in Cookham rise. He is also believed to have done experimental transmissions from the site in 1897.
The plaque was unveiled 3 September 1996
142 Whyteladyes Lane
David Ivor Davies (January 15, 1893 – March 6, 1951), the famous playwright is known to have lived in the village of Littlewick Green from 1928 to 1951.
Redroofs, Novello's country home became the Redroofs Theatre School in 1951.
The plaque was unveiled 17 June 1997
J.D.M. Pearce is commemorated as the 5 times Mayor of Maidenhead between 1850-1890, and a local benefactor. In July 1890 he presented Kidwells park as a deed of gift to the town.
The plaque was unveiled 6 March 1997
Jack White (15 August 1873- 1949) was Open Golf champion in 1904 and had been the professional at the prestigious Sunningdale Golf Club since 1902, remaining so for over 25 years.
The plaque was unveiled 25 November 2009
Ridge Mount Cottage
John Milton (9 December 1608 - 8 November 1674) was an English poet, a man of letters and a civil servant during the time of Oliver Cromwell. He is known for his epic poem Paradise Lost and the famous line from L’Allegro: ‘Com, and trip it as ye go, on the light fantastic toe’. He lived in Horton after gaining a degree, and continued wide ranging study and poetry writing there before he travelling to France and Italy.
The plaque was unveiled 9 December 2008
Berkyn Manor Estate Gate
Kenneth Grahame 1859-1932, is an author who wrote the classic 'Wind in the Willows', published in 1908. He is commemorated here with a Blue Plaque as he is known to have lived the early part of his life in Cookham Dean, and then in 'Mayfield' which is now Herries School.
The plaque was unveiled 7 November 1996
Field Marshal Frederick Sleigh Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts of Kandahar VC KG KP GCB OM GCSI GCIE PC (1832–1914), is hailed as one of the Victorian era's most successful army officers. Educated at Eton, Lord Roberts continued to his army career and became one of only two non-royals in the 20th Century to lie in state after their death (the other being Winston Churchill). Lord Roberts is commemorated with a Blue Plaque as he is known to have resided at Englemere.
The plaque was unveiled 7 January 1997
Lt Col Harry Greenwood V.C, O.B.E, D.S.O, M.C (1881-1948) is commemorated with a Blue Plaque as he was born at the Victoria Barracks, Windsor and won the Victoria Cross in WWI in France.
The plaque was unveiled 8 April 1997
Margaret Oliphant Oliphant (née Margaret Oliphant Wilson) (1828-1897), was a novelist and historical writer who resided in Windsor for 30 years. Oliphant produced more than 120 separate works, including novels, books of travel and description, histories and volumes of literary criticism. Both of her sons were educated at Eton College.
The plaque was unveiled 25 June 1997, supported by the Windsor and Eton Society
Mariquita Dorotea Francesca Tennant [née Eroles], (1811–1860) is known as a social reformer .She is commemorated for helping the impoverished women of Windsor.
The plaque was unveiled 24 November 2005
Mr Freddie Shenston M.B.E. (1912-1998) is commemorated with a Blue Plaque as the founder of Windsor Heritage in 1967, being President between 1993-1998 and also President of the Chamber of Commerce.
The plaque was unveiled in 2002
Oliver Brooks (31 May 1889-25 October 1940) was awarded the Victoria Cross in France for actions on 8th October 1915. Although not born in Windsor, Mr Brooks lived there from 1919 until his death in 1940 and is buried in Windsor Cemetery. He was also commissionaire at the White Hart Hotel in Windsor.
The plaque was unveiled 26 May 1998
47 Clewer Avenue
Ralph Newbery (1535-1608) was native of Waltham St. Lawrence before moving to London and becoming Citizen & Stationer of London. After his successful career in London he returned to the area and purchased the manor of Beenhams Heath in 1593 in Waltham St. Lawrence, and in 1602 another manor named Woolley Fiennes, in adjoining White Waltham. Newbery spent his retirement between these two manors, until his death in 1608. By a deed, made shortly after his death, Ralph's son, Francis, settled a house and land, according to his father's wishes, for the benefit of the poor and needy inhabitants of Waltham St. Lawrence. The house is the fine Wealden hall-house in front of the church, which now serves the village as the 'Bell Inn'. His descendants lived at Feens Manor at Littlewick Green until 1665.
The plaque was unveiled 7th November 1996
The Bell Inn
Waltham St Lawrence
Richard Dimbleby CBE (May 25, 1913 – December 22, 1965). The renowned radio and TV broadcaster is commemorated with a Blue Plaque on Boulters Island.
The plaque was unveiled 27 May 1997
Sir Edward Richard Henry, 1st Baronet GCVO KCB CSI KPM (1850–1931) was the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis from 1903 to 1918. Henry is best known for as the inventor of The 'Henry' Finger Printing Classification System. After his successful career with the Metropolitan Police he and his family retired to Cissbury, near Ascot, where his commemorative Blue Plaque is placed.
The plaque wa unveiled 21 April 1997
Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens, OM, KCIE, PRA, FRIBA, LLD (1869–1944) is commemorated in Windsor with a Blue Plaque for being the Chief Architect of New Delhi, as well as the designer of the Whitehall Cenotaph and the George V Memorial in Windsor. His Plaque is placed low down on the George V Memorial.
The plaque was unveiled 17 June 1997
George V Memorial
Edward VII Avenue
Sir Henry Walford Davies (1869-1941) was a British composer, who held the title of Master of the King’s Musick from 1934 -1941. He was organist at St George’s Chapel from 1927. During World War One he joined the Committee for Music in War Time and establishedthe RAF bands, composing the well known Royal AIR Force March past.
The plaque was unveiled in April 2004
Sir Sydney Camm (1893-1966) designed the Hawker Hurricane aircraft, which played a significant part in the Battle of Britain in 1940. A replica aircraft has been installed in Alexandra Gardens and the Windsor and Royal Borough Museum features his story.
The plaque was unveiled 27 March 1986 and replaced in 2005 supported by Airways Housing
10 Alma Road
This blue plaque was erected to commemorate the origin of civic life in Maidenhead. The Chapel was founded in 1269 and the earliest-known grant of 'pontage' for repairing Maydenhith (Maidenhead) Bridge was made in 1297. In 1451 a Guild was established in the Chapel to collect money and use it for the maintenance of "the bridge of Maydenhith over the Thames". This was thought to mark the establishment of civic life in the town.
The plaque was unveiled 30 July 1996
King Edward V.I.I Gateway is commemorated as the walkway through to Alexandra Gardens, the land of which was donated by Sir Jesse Boot. A bust of The King was erected in 1921.
The plaque was unveiled 11 December 1997
Located at The Old Toll House or Windsor Bridge this Blue Plaque commemorates Joseph Taylor who obtained for the removal of tolls at Windsor Bridge in December 1898 and also Charles Hollis, the architect of the cast iron Windsor Bridge, which opened in 1824, and The Church of St John.
The plaque was unveiled in January 2004
Acknowleged by the FA and FIFA to be the oldest senior football ground in the world to be continuously used by the same club. Maidenhead FC played their first game on this ground on 16 th February 1871, and have played there ever since. Maidenhead FC also hold the distinction of being one of the original 15 clubs to take part in the first ever FA Cup competition, the oldest football competition in the world.
The plaque was unveiled 13 October 2012
Royal Borough Highlights
Enjoy a Summer's day out under the ramparts of Windsor Castle, on the banks of the...
Visit us at our Stormfront Windsor store today and have a chat with one of our...
The Crown and Cushion is a delightful pub with eight en suite rooms.
The three AA Rosette André Garrett Restaurant at Cliveden has been voted in the Top...